Tips for Motorcycle Trips in Portugal
What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to Portugal? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.
Documents you must have with you
- Driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
- ID card or passport (since 26.6.12 it has also been obligatory for children travelling within the EU to have their own identity document.)
- International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) is recommended.
First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest
It is not mandatory to carry a first-aid kit or high-visibility vest. However, we recommend you always carry both.
It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22 standard are approved.
Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.
- Within built-up areas: 50 km/h
- Outside built-up areas: 90 km/h
- Dual carriageways (expressways): 100 km/h
- Motorways (freeways): 120 km/h
A toll is charged on most motorways (freeways) on Portugal.
Legal alcohol limit
0.02% (20 mg/100 ml blood)
Motorcycle trips across the Portugal borders
Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in Portugal neighbouring countries.